We are getting ready to have our second child. That means that we have spent the last few months trying to prepare our son for the new baby. We bought him a baby doll (which he mostly just wants to put hats onto), we talk about the baby in mommy’s belly (he now thinks that everybody has a baby in his or her belly), and we’ve read lots of books. Because of the books we have read so far he understands that babies drink milk and like to sleep a lot, so I think they are doing their job.
Our favorite is “I’m a Big Brother” by Joanna Cole (“I’m a Big Sister” is also available). The simple text is perfect for the smallest of big brothers and sisters, and the concepts in the book aren’t over the heads of toddlers: what babies do, some simple things that big brothers or sisters can do to help, and the all-important reminder that they are still loved. As a bonus, there is a “What a Big Brother Needs” note to parents at the end.
Another book I like is “Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Baby?” by Barney Saltzberg. Cornelius asks a series of questions about the new baby, wonders about his place in the family, and finally welcomes the new addition. With its child-like illustrations, this story should be a hit with my son. Finally, “When I Was King” by Linda Ashman is a book all about the difficult adjustment from only child to big brother for one little boy. With its gentle, rhyming text and illustrations by David McPhail, I find this book to be delightful. I hope my son does too.
--Stacy B., Bridgeton Trails Branch