
"Marching With Aunt Susan" by Claire Rudolf Murphy, illustrated by Stacey Schuett
Did you know that election day is always the first Tuesday after the first Monday of the month? And did you know that today, April 3rd, is election day? I, along with many other people, stood in line to vote this morning: to give my opinion, approval or disapproval. I believe it is my duty to vote. Unfortunately, 100 years ago, I would not be allowed to vote because I am a woman.
Susan B. Anthony always knew that men and women were equal, so she knew that something needed to be done to change the law. During the late 1800s, Susan began to organize women to protest and demand their right to vote; it is also called "women's suffrage". The book "Marching With Aunt Susan" is fiction, and tells the story of a young girl named Bessie who wants to do everything her brothers do, including ride bicycles. But some people tell her that girls are not supposed to do things like that. Susan says riding gives a woman freedom, so Bessie's Mom encourages her to keep riding, and even learns to ride herself. It is true that women can do anything men can do.
Bessie's Mom and some of her friends attend a rally where Susan B. Anthony expresses that all people should vote. Bessie and her Mom help spread the word and get even more women to join them for a march. Will all of their hard work pay off?
--Angie R., Headquarters
No comments:
Post a Comment