Here Come the Girl Scouts!
By Shana Corey Illustrated by Hadley Hooper
I’m guessing that many people will be saying "Here Come the Girl Scouts" for the next few weeks as young ladies take orders for cookies. If you've wondered how this group started, this book has the answer.
It began with a woman named Daisy and her “gumption”. Daisy traveled all over the world and had marvelous adventures. Then she saw a group in England called Boy Scouts and a female group called Girl Guides. She thought how much girls in America would like to have an organization like that! She took a Girl Guide handbook with her to use as a starting point, headed back to the United States, and started the first troop. Daisy wanted to reach girls from all areas, so she started troops in private schools, religious organizations and even orphanages. Soon her idea had spread to girls all over the country, and it’s still just as popular today. I especially enjoyed the last page which featured famous women who are former Girl Scouts. On March 19, the Girl Scouts will celebrate their 100th year!
I was in Girl Scouts until middle school and I loved it. I made lasting friendships that I still have today. Camping was my favorite, but I learned so much from weekly meetings: sewing, cooking, survival skills and most importantly, cooperating with other girls.
--Angie R., Headquarters
By Shana Corey Illustrated by Hadley Hooper
I’m guessing that many people will be saying "Here Come the Girl Scouts" for the next few weeks as young ladies take orders for cookies. If you've wondered how this group started, this book has the answer.
It began with a woman named Daisy and her “gumption”. Daisy traveled all over the world and had marvelous adventures. Then she saw a group in England called Boy Scouts and a female group called Girl Guides. She thought how much girls in America would like to have an organization like that! She took a Girl Guide handbook with her to use as a starting point, headed back to the United States, and started the first troop. Daisy wanted to reach girls from all areas, so she started troops in private schools, religious organizations and even orphanages. Soon her idea had spread to girls all over the country, and it’s still just as popular today. I especially enjoyed the last page which featured famous women who are former Girl Scouts. On March 19, the Girl Scouts will celebrate their 100th year!
I was in Girl Scouts until middle school and I loved it. I made lasting friendships that I still have today. Camping was my favorite, but I learned so much from weekly meetings: sewing, cooking, survival skills and most importantly, cooperating with other girls.
--Angie R., Headquarters

No comments:
Post a Comment