Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Favorite Hanukkah Picture Books

I love reading holiday books to my son. They are really fun, they help us both get into the spirit of the celebration, and since he’s a toddler, it helps him orient himself to what happens during a particular festival. We read books about all kinds of holidays: the Fourth of July, Halloween, and Thanksgiving are just a few. Since it’s almost Hanukkah time (it starts on December 20 this year), I’ve begun looking at Hanukkah picture books and I’d like to share my favorites with you.

Based on an old Yiddish folk song, “Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah” by Olga and Aleksey Ivanov features bright illustrations of a family celebration. The simple, rhyming text makes this an introduction to Hanukkah traditions for the youngest of children. For slightly older children, I like “I Have a Little Dreidel” by Maxie Baum. The book embellishes on the classic Hanukkah song, adding verses about making latkes, lighting the menorah, and having family members over for a holiday meal. Finally, for early elementary school-age children there is “Maccabee!: The Story of Hanukkah” by Tilda Balsley. It tells the famous story upon which Hanukkah is based with cartoon-like illustrations and a fast-paced, melodic text. I wish a lovely holiday season to you and yours. --Stacy B., Bridgeton Trails Branch

No comments:

Post a Comment