Patricia MacLachlan's book "Waiting for the Magic" reveals the universal heartbreak and wonder of betrayal and forgiveness through the story of one small family and its pets. Her sparseness of language may seem simple at first, but MacLachlan proves yet again that that she is a master at plumbing the depths of a child's emotions with delicacy and understatement.One day, William's Mama and Papa have a big fight and his dad walks out, leaving this note behind:"Dear William, I've gone off to do some writing. I will call you. And I'll be back to see you soon. I'm sorry for this. I love you, Papa." Fourth-grader William and his four-year-old sister, Elinor are worried and don't know what to think. They especially don't know what to think when their mom takes them to an animal shelter and they come home with not one, not two, but four dogs and one kitten. As the family grows accustomed to life without Papa, they all grow to love their new pets, who understand much more than everyone but Elinor realizes. When unexpected news brings Papa home again, life is once again thrown into chaos, and the decision on whether or not to forgive him weighs on everyone, including the dogs.
Proven by her Newbery Meal for "Sarah, Plain and Tall", Patricia MacLachlan is the Ernest Hemingway of children's literature with her pithy and emotionally evocative writing style. "Waiting for the Magic" does not disappoint with its gentle tale of love, betrayal, and forgiveness. Sprinkled with humor and wonder, this is a book that will leave you smiling and hopeful that love really does win out in the end. Appropriate for grade 3-6.
--Andrea W., Headquarters
No comments:
Post a Comment