Thursday, October 24, 2013

Staff Review: "When I Feel Worried" by Cornelia Maude Spelman

When you are small, the world can be a big and scary place with many things to worry about. As caregivers, we do our very best to make children feel safe. But anxiety still makes it's way in somehow, and we need to equip kids with the understanding and skills they need to work through their fears. That's when bibliotherapy can be very helpful, like the book, "When I Feel Worried" by Cornelia Maude Spelman.

The main character of the story is an adorably chubby young guinea pig who tells us from the start, "Sometimes I feel worried." She talks about the things that make her worried, but in the middle of the book declares, "When I feel worried, I can tell someone I'm worried." Then she goes through all the things that she can do to help make the worry go away, like singing and playing outside and talking about good things. By the end of the book, your little reader will be able to say with the main character, "When I feel worried, I know what to do!" 

With helpful hints for parents in the front, sweet illustrations, and a comforting message, "When I Feel Worried" is the perfect read for you and your anxious tot. Great for preschool and kindergarten age children.

--Andrea W., H.Q.

P.S. Check out some of Spelman's other titles in the series "The Way I Feel."

When I Feel Jealous











When I Feel Sad





No comments:

Post a Comment