I love books that discuss traditions from around the world so I was quite intrigued to find "Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World" by Selby B. Beeler.
Turns out not everyone has a tooth fairy...some teeth are taken away by rats, birds, rabbits or mice. And, not all kids put their teeth under a pillow. Some kids bury their teeth, throw them on the roof or have them turned into jewelry! One of my favorite customs comes from Turkey:
"If my parents want me to grow up to graduate from school, they might bury my tooth in the garden of the university. If they hope I will become a doctor, they bury it in the garden of a hospital, or they could bury it in a soccer field so I will be a good soccer player."
The illustrations are colorful and each custom is only a few lines long so it is not too much for the target audience. Great book for sharing.
--Desiree S. Headquarters

No comments:
Post a Comment